Can You Freeze Deviled Eggs? Yes, Here Is The Correct Process
Devilled eggs have been an all-time appetizer since the days when the culture moved to the US. Often, we use these savory side dishes as banquet starters which also act as a decorator in their white and yellowish color blend to your party. If you have leftovers of these delicious starters, you often come up with the question can you freeze deviled eggs, because all of us feel guilty about throwing them to the bin as waste.
Stuffed eggs, dressed eggs, and Russian eggs are some other phrases used to call deviled eggs.Interestingly some churches avoid using the term devil and instead use the term dressed eggs. It is also called salad eggs in some instances.
Devilled eggs never miss a picnic meal or a thanksgiving. Sometimes the dressings or the mixture filled with egg white may be changed according to the country and region, but commonly it is a mixture of ingredients like egg yolks, mustard paste, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and paprika. This mixture is piped into the cavity of a hard-boiled egg with a pipping bag or a nozzle.
In a nutshell, we make devilled eggs by hard-boiling an egg. (Boiling for 7-8 minutes) Then the peeled eggs are cut in half, and the yolk is taken out. The cavity of the egg white is then filled with a mixture of yolk and ingredients of your choice. You can add ham, bacon, mustard cream, and vinegar to adjust the taste, and do the final dressing in herbs like parsley, rosemary, and spring onion.
Can You Freeze Deviled Eggs?
Devilled eggs are easy to make and are everyone’s top selected choices. When you are the party host, what if you have made a lot of excesses? Don’t worry; it is not a complete loss.
Do continue the reading to find out why did we say so.
The answer to the question can you freeze devilled eggs is both yes and no. That means you can freeze the egg yolk part and keep it for about two weeks, while the egg white portion cannot be frozen and used in another round.
Why Can’t We Freeze Boiled Egg Whites?
The reason for not existing frozen egg whites is the absence of fat in egg whites. A portion of food needs some amount of fat to be preserved. If you put boiled egg whites in a freezer, the complexion and natural taste will be changed, and it is hard to consume.
It is true that the freezing method in food preservation does not destroy nutrients within those, but when you freeze egg whites and reheat them, it becomes unpleasantly thick, wet, and gummy. Therefore, freezing egg whites is not a wise idea.
Now it must be clear to you that since egg yolks contain fat, they can be frozen and used later without changing their texture or flavor.
How to Freeze Egg Yolks Mixture?
It is a relief that the fat-containing yolks could be consumed in a later serving after freezing. This is a way of making your work easy too. But you must take reasonable care to follow the correct and exact steps to avoid any spoiling or food poisoning. We have given below a complete guide for you to follow. Please read carefully.
When storing leftovers
- Take a spoon and remove the devilled mixture from the egg whites. Sadly, we can’t save egg whites by freezing, as we have discussed for the reasons in the above paragraph.
- Place those in a freezer bag or a Ziploc bag. It is better if you can use thicker freezer bags.
- Could you give it a thorough mix?
- After the pieces are mixed well, squeeze the air out and seal the container tightly to make it airtight.
- Make sure to cover the whole thing with aluminum foil at the end before keeping it inside the freezer. This is to increase the number of days your yolk mix can be preserved.
- Use another freezer bag or any thicker bag if you have got no aluminum foil in your kitchen.
- You can label the bag for easier identification. Do not forget to add the date too. It will remind you to eat it in two weeks.
- When placing them inside, keep them in a flat position to get the maximum result.
How to Store Egg York Mixture For Future Use?
Follow this method if you are trying to freeze an egg yolk mix for an upcoming party.
- Make the mixture and place until it becomes cold. Because if you do the process when the mixture stays hot, then it will form water vapor inside the plastic bag and will be mixed into the egg mixture again. This is disadvantageous in food preservation.
- Once completely cooled, transfer the mix to the freezer bag and squeeze to remove the air inside.
- Then airtight the bag and cover it with aluminum foil.
- As before explained, label it and add the date too.
When defrosting, place the plastic bag in a container of warm water and let it be heated. Then make a small hole from a corner of the bag just as you do in a pipping bag and squeeze it out to the dish you are making.
Do you know? – 2nd of November is the annual Devilled Egg Day which is a famous potluck day and a thanksgiving where family reunions happen. (Potlucks are gatherings where every member brings a dish to the party)
How Long do Devilled Eggs Last in Refrigerator?
A total devil egg can last for four days if kept in the refrigerator. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, you must remember to have those within two days if you need them fresh.
But devilled egg yolks can be kept in the freezer for about two weeks. If you read the article above, you could learn everything about freezing a devilled egg.
In this article, we have covered the complete area of freezing devilled eggs, including the reason for the inability to freeze boiled egg white part.
If you follow the correct steps, you can reduce the total wastage and save egg yolk filling for about two weeks inside your freezer.
You May Also Like:
- Can Hot Water Heater Freeze? Yes, If You Don’t Do These
- Why Oven Makes Noise When Heating Up? [Gas And Electric Ovens]